Second week of my commitment is about to finish. One day left. Today my toughts are on habits. I committed myself to 30 days of early waking up and running. Obviously I plan to go beyond that as I want that to be part of my daily life, just hope that it will be more habitual afterwords. Of course I don’t believe 30 days is some sort of magic number, after which I will turn into no longer conscious Zombie that wakes up and says “Ruuuuning, Ruuuuning”, but I had to start somewhere and one month somehow made sense to be.
Anyway what I wanted to talk about today is not my commitment, but some good things that I noticed I started doing along that, which might at some point turn into habits that will surely enrich my life. That is what I hope. So below is the list:
- Eating breakfast – so far I rarely ate breakfast, which is surely very unhealthy. Since I started, I do it regularly. It is not yet I don’t now how reach, but I eat at least banana and yogurt. I did not really plan to do it, but after run I am obviously already fully awake and therefore immediately feel hunger.
- Limiting my coffees to two – So far I drunk 4-6 coffees a day, mostly Latte Macchiatto. Not like breakfast it was more conscious decision to limit that to two for two reasons. Reason 1: Since I run I hope also to get more fit and lose some weight, I guess milk does not really makes you fat, but replacing that with water might help, as least a bit. Especially that I it was not really milk but coffee with milk, hmm or maybe other way round. Reason 2: I run using MAF method which is all about heart rate. Surely 6 coffees have an effect on my heart rate.
- Preparing myself day before – I never really prepared myself in the evening for the next day. I don’t have to show up in the office at the fixed time, so I just do it in the morning. Now I do it everyday, so that I don’t wake up my family trying to find my running socks. One might say, what’s the point in here. Well the point in here is discipline myself more.
- Keeping my stress level at low – In one of my post I mentioned that author of MAF method Phil Maffetone says that stress my slow down your progress or even stop it. Since I started I am much more aware of that and try to avoid stress at work whenever it is possible. I am aware that you can’t reduce stress to zero, especially working as Software Engineer in the bank :). But from my experience I can tell then I had a lot of stressful situations that I could easily avoid, only if I am more concise about it.
- Writing – By writing I mean this blog. But not that having blog I see as good habit, but putting my thoughts together definitely yes. I already had some really good observations regarding my life while posting to this blog.
- Eating better – I now think twice before I select something in office cantine, no I did now turn into healthy only eater and I think I don’t intend to, but surely fries are no-go, hmmmm, ok, maybe once in a while ;). Hey, there has to be some reward:)
- Drinking water – That drinking water is healthy and a must I don’t have to tell you. Did I do it in the past: nooooo. Do I do it now: yeeeees.
- Not staying up late – It is habitual for me to stay up late. Now since I know I need to wake up early next day I go to bed latest 11PM. Also I stopped blindly googling before my sleep.
That would be it, if I reminder myself about something else, will add it to the list. Looks quite impressive doesn’t it? Maybe for some of you these are pennants. Well I say if they are you already have good habits. I just try to establish mine.
Today I was a bit slower. Finished in 44:32. It is still below 45min. If I carry on like that for next 2 days, I increase my distance with 10%. 6,6km a day :).